About 5 years ago, Pyro Putty founder Will Bartlett was working on a design for a compact fuel efficient stove called a rocket stove for camping in cold weather.
After searching online and finding that most people were using a propane torch to light the stoves, we realized that it defeats the purpose of having a small portable stove if there was a need to carry a torch to light it. The decision to make a fire starter that would light any stove that was also non toxic, moldable, easy to light fire starter that is waterproof and lightweight.
Most fire starters on the market were either too toxic to touch or hard to light, or were bulky and too heavy to pack. We wanted to created a product that was moldable and sticky, with a long burn time. With the diverse landscapes we needed to make sure that this particular fire starter was water resistance as well as wind resistance to help ease the time it would take to light it and start a fire.
After some trial and error, we finally found the recipe that met all of these needs. After a trial run with friends and family, we decided to open up this amazing product to everyone around us. With further experimenting we were able to make it burn like a candle with a clean burning flame.
The possibilities are endless with Pyro Putty ,and the lives it can help and save are what make it exciting for us.